It’s here: The 2017 Father’s Day Gift Guide in partnership with Ava to Zoe full of ideas to spoil your favourite Dad. If you know the guy who ‘doesn’t need anything’ you’ll hopefully find something he’ll love within these pages. We brought together a selection of products from some of our favourite locals, many of them handmade and made right here in BC. Give a one of a kind gift for a one of a kind Dad (sorry couldn’t help a little corny sentiment because hey, it’s true) and support small business when you shop.
There has been a lot about Mother’s Day on the blog this past week or so (don’t miss the Mother’s Day Gift Guide with Ava to Zoe and this Mother’s Day high tea post!). And I’m totally ok with that- any way we can show some love and appreciation to the amazing ladies in this world is ok with me (hi Mum, love you!). Motherhood- parenthood- is one helluva journey and as the saying goes ‘it takes a village’. But what about those single mamas out there doing everything they can for their kids without a partner to help them?
This year The Cake Mama and Ever Red Fresh Designs have teamed up to offer gift ideas that give back. These two ladies have brought their talents together to create Mother’s Day Gift Boxes with a portion of the proceeds being donated to Cause We Care Foundation, a local organization that supports single mothers. Each gift box will contain 6 sugar cookies hand decorated by Izabela (The Cake Mama) and a floral crown or arrangement created by Nicole of Ever Red Fresh Designs. These gift boxes are a lovely idea if you’re looking for something handmade with the added bonus of supporting local businesses and a good cause through your gifting. See below for more info and photos of what you’ll find in these gift boxes!
Preorders open from April 18- May 6, 2017
Pick up available in Langley or Vancouver on May 13, 2017
Price: $65- $95 CAD
Please note: cookies will appear as in photo; flower crowns and arrangements will include a selection of Spring colours including white, yellow, pink, and purple. Colour requests not available.
It’s here! This year’s Mother’s Day Gift Guide has been a labour of love and I’m so excited to finally share it! My blogging partner in crime, Janette from Ava to Zoe, and I have been working hard on getting this gift guide put together over the past couple of weeks and enjoyed coordinating it as a collaborative effort between both of our blogs. We wanted to share some gifting ideas for those special ladies in all the forms of ‘Mom’ they come in, whether for yourself, your own Mom, or the mamas- to- be, and women who are hoping to one day be Moms themselves. We have gathered a group of brands owned and operated by some talented ladies, many of whom are mothers themselves, and we feel that we’ve got something special within the pages for everyone.
Mother’s Day is a chance to show our love and appreciation and we hope you find some ideas in this gift guide that help you show some love (or find some ideas you love for yourself so you can drop some hints). As an added bonus, a selection of the brands included have offered a 15% discount code so you can enjoy some savings while you shop. As moms, we often forget about ourselves or have a hard time finding ‘me’ time while taking care of others, but when you get the chance it’s that much more meaningful. We hope you can find a few minutes for yourself to make a cup of tea (or pour a glass of wine!) and have a look through. Whether you treat yourself, drop some hints, or find something for your own Mom, we hope you enjoy reading the 2017 Mother’s Day Gift Guide it as much as we enjoyed bringing it together.
Click on the gift guide below to see the brands featured- enjoy!
Last Saturday I spent the afternoon at my friend Piya’s shop in White Rock, The Handpicked Home, for her #THHfortheholidays Pop Up shop. We had so much fun kicking off the holiday season with treats from Edible Canada and shoppers having the chance to enter not 1 but 2 raffles with more than $600 in goodies (one lucky shopper won themselves a beautiful wood watch from Tense watches) with proceeds benefitting a local animal shelter. Every time I walked around the store I couldn’t help noticing something new and thinking ‘who could I give this to?’. With the holidays fast approaching I’m trying to get through my shopping list before things get too crazy and since I opted not to do a gift guide this year I thought I’d share some gift ideas from her shop instead. I went through THH and picked out some of my favourites for men, women, & kids to help you think of gifts for everyone on your list and support some great BC and Canadian brands in the process. Everything featured can be found at Piya’s shop, so if you see something you like you know where to find it. One stop shopping at it’s best!
For the Men
I don’t know about you, but I find guys the hardest to buy for. When you ask them what they want and all you get is ‘I don’t need anything’, it can be tough to think of ideas. So that leaves you the option to load ’em up with things that you think they’ll love. You’ll be a star for being creative with ideas and for giving them something they didn’t even know they wanted and they’ll get something they won’t be able to live without once you give it to them. Win- win gift giving at it’s finest.
– if he’s into clothes: think things like tees, socks and ties in fun prints. These sound like really basic ideas, but there are endless options out there to suit the guy(s) you’re buying for. Just think of his personality and what he likes and go from there
– if he’s outdoorsy: think cold weather cozy items like gloves/ mitts, scarves & hats or items that come in handy like a water bottle or thin wallet for days when he doesn’t need more than a few cards (perfect if he’s into hiking or other activities where packing light is preferred)
– if he’s on the rugged side: think grooming items like an old- fashioned shaving kit, beard oil & body spray. Even if he’s not into using products, most guys with beards seem to like to groom them and what better than with some masculine toiletries?
–if he loves his man cave: anything related to beer or his favourite drink will probably be a hit (like that magnetic beer top remover) or get him something to add to the ambience (ie improve the decor) like some signs or prints to hang on the wall
– if he’s not a morning person: a cheeky mug and some good quality coffee with other edible treats is a simple and fun idea (what guy doesn’t like to eat?)
For the Ladies
I feel like I can always think of ideas for the ladies on my list, it just comes down to their personal style and trying to find something I know they’ll like. While I find it harder to come up with ideas for guys, they’re usually easy to please once you think of something. With ladies I find it’s the opposite: you might have a variety of ideas, but finding something that suits their style can sometimes be the toughest part. Fashion, home, and pampering items are my go- tos when it comes to shopping for the ladies on my list, it just comes down to what their taste is like for making my gift choices.
– if she’s into fashion: like with the guys, I don’t think you can go wrong with a t- shirt in a fun print, but how about something like a sweater or cozy hat to up her cold- weather style game? Or ask what her fashion bucket list is and help her achieve her style goals
– if she’s all about the details: for the ladies who always seem to have the perfect #ootd right down to the accessories, some shades, a pair of earrings or a necklace might be the perfect addition to her accessory collection. Think of things like colours, textures, and materials to find something unique and different
– if her house should be in a magazine (or she wishes it looked that way): gifts for the home can be a lot of fun. Things like throw pillows and blankets, candles, and decor items like vases and prints are perfect when you want to give something to help personalize a space
– if she’s a girly- girl at heart: I feel like ideas for this kind of lady are endless. Think things like makeup and beauty products you know she loves, jewellery, accessories, etc.
– if she’s a bit of a tomboy: if you know some gals that don’t mind getting messy, think of things she can bring along for her favourite outdoor activity. A good quality water bottle (can you tell I love them?) or gear for her hobby of choice will be well- loved and used
– if she’s really hard to buy for: if you’ve got some super- picky ladies on your list, I don’t think you can go wrong with a nice bottle of wine and a pretty card with a personal message that shows you care. Think of a favourite inside joke or quote to write in the card and remind her why you’re such an awesome friend/ daughter/ mother, etc
For the Little Ones
Let’s face it, there is so much cute stuff out there for kids right now! Whether you want to give clothes, something fun, or something practical, you won’t fall short of ideas if you check out some of the local brands we’ve got here in BC. If toys aren’t something you want to give or the parents don’t want the clutter, there are lots of other sweet things to give to your favourite little ladies and fellas. Sizing and seasonality for clothing is good to think about when buying clothes, and checking with parents to see what they need/ want can help narrow your choices. Other than that, it really is limitless and a lot of fun to buy for the babies and kids on your list
– if they need clothes: this is always a great choice since you know parents appreciate keeping closets stocked (it can be hard to keep up, they grow so fast!). Ask about current sizes and if you’re thinking forward a few months, keep in mind the season it’ll be worn in (ie don’t buy cozy fleece items that will likely fit in the Summer- ask Mom & Dad for sizing suggestions)
– if you want to give something fun: little ones can be entertained by the simplest things, so you don’t have to over- think these kinds of gifts. Something to encourage learning, books, age- appropriate jewellery and toys, items for playing dress up, and things for the bath are a few ideas.
– if you want to give something practical: other than clothes, things like blankets, bedding, shoes, bath items, and age- specific gear (ie teething items for babies, a dinner set for toddlers) are great gifts if you’d prefer to spend your gift budget on things that will get a lot of use
Hopefully some of these ideas help you check off some of the people on your holiday shopping list! If you see something you love, pay Piya’s shop a visit and enjoy shopping local this year.