If you follow the blog on Instagram you may have seen this pasta dish I posted last Friday night as part of Catelli’s #GlutenFreeFridays. Easy, healthy & delicious, check, check, and check- YEEHAW! May is Celiac Awareness Month, and even though no- one in our family is Celiac, having strong gluten intolerances pretty much means we eat as though we do. That means we seek out gluten- free options for everything from bread and sauces to pasta. Thankfully this has been one staple of our diet we have been able to continue enjoying without much change (thank goodness because we’re all pasta fiends!). With the warmer weather I like to shake things up a bit and cook lighter meals, but that are still full of flavour and satisfying (for another yummy gluten free pasta recipe, check out this one by my friend Andria over on The Cheerio Diaries). Mediterranean- inspired dishes are perfect for this and I love a good vegetarian meal every now and then. I’ve made a few different versions of this dish and each time have been really happy with how it’s turned out, so I thought it was time to share it. Gluten free or not, it’s delicious and if you can, top it off with a little butter and fresh parmesan.
Makes 4 servings
– gluten free pasta of your choice (for this I used Catelli’s gluten free spaghetti)
– 1/2 each of a red and yellow bell pepper, cut into slices
– 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin
– 1 tomato, diced
– 1/2 zucchini, chopped
– 1/2 cup artichoke hearts (I’ve also made a version with sun dried tomatoes that’s delicious)
– 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
– 1 tsp fresh parsley to garnish
– olive oil (and/ or a tbsp butter)
– salt & pepper to taste
– fresh parmesan (optional)
1. Set your oven to broil and bring a pot of water to boil while you wait
2. In a baking dish, toss the veggies (minus the artichoke hearts and herbs) in a little olive oil and salt and pepper; put under the broiler for approx 10 minutes, or until the veggies begin to char (also great to pop them in a foil pouch on the bbq)
3. Pop the pasta in the boiling water and while it cooks, heat up a tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Once the veggies have been broiled, toss them along with the artichoke hearts, herbs and a little more oil/ butter if desired. Reduce to low/ medium heat.
4. When pasta is cooked, drain and toss in with the veggies. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley (and parmesan if you love some cheese on your pasta!)
5. Serve & enjoy!
For more information about Catelli gluten free pasta and more recipe ideas, visit the Catelli website.