What was the last thing someone did for you that made you smile? For no reason other than to make your day better? It could have been as simple as holding a door open for you, or paying for your coffee in the drive through. Random acts of kindness don’t have to be grand gestures and can sometimes be the turning point in an otherwise not- so- great day. And when we get these little opportunities to brighten someone else’s day, why not act on them and pay it forward?
You never know what’s going on in someone else’s life, and I’ve had days when a kind word from a stranger or a simple smile have turned my mood around. The world isn’t a perfect place, there will always be things going wrong, but that doesn’t mean we can’t take little opportunities to make it a better place, to insert more positivity into it. And the added bonus is that we tend to feel better ourselves when we’ve done something nice for someone else. Win- win at it’s finest.
So on that note I’m happy to share about the Joytv #Joygiver campaign that runs until March 1st. The goal is to encourage individuals and communities in the Greater Vancouver Area and Fraser Valley to spread joy through random (or not so random!) acts of kindness. When you do something kind for someone, Joytv is also sharing the love, and giving away seven $100 gift cards for gourmet coffee when you share about your act of kindness on social media and enter on joygiver.ca to encourage others to take part and spread happiness (winners will be drawn the first week of March). It’s the chance to make someone smile, make their day a little better, and maybe get treated yourself. So now the question is: who would you do something for- whether a stranger or someone you know, this is a great chance to pay forward some positivity and kindness.
Stuck for ideas? Here are a few suggestions:
- call a friend just to say and remind them they’re important to you
- compliment someone- love their shoes? awesome bag? beautiful smile?
- make a donation to a charity you care about
- drop off some food and/ or clothes at the local food bank
- buy the person behind you in line their morning coffee
- hold the door open for someone (bonus points if you smile when you do it)
- buy a $5 or $10 gift card and slip it into a loved one’s wallet with a note to surprise them (or leave in a random place for a stranger to find)
- leave an extra big tip for your favourite server (throw back to my serving days & how much this brightened my day)
See Joygiver.ca for more ideas to pay forward a little kindness
Visit Joygiver.ca by March 1, 2017 to share your random (or not so random) acts of kindness with the hashtag #Joygiver for your chance to win 1 of 7 $100 gift cards for gourmet coffee.
For more info, visit joygiver.ca and find Joy TV on social media: