This DIY totally brought back memories for me- who else remembers using potato stamps when they were kids??? This craft might have a Valentine’s Day theme, but it’s great for any occasion or party when you want to send guests home with a little favour. Just pick a design that matches the theme/ occasion and that’s simple enough to carve into a potato. I love how these turned out and how simple they are to make- it’s the perfect project for little hands to help with (once the potato is cut of course!). The hardest part is deciding what to stash inside them. 😉
For the bags
1 large potato
cotton bags (find these at the dollar store or craft store)
sharp pairing knife
For the treat bag inserts
clear plastic bags
candy/ treats of your choice
- Slice the potato in half and cut out the shape you like (Bonus: ‘X’ and ‘O’ are nice & easy). If you prefer, use a toothpick or the tip of the knife to etch the design into the potato as a guide to cut along.
2. Blot the potato on a piece of paper towel to help remove some of the moisture.
3. Pick the colour(s) of paint you want to use and blot off a little bit of the paint on the paper towel.
4. Press the potato stamp down on the cotton bag and repeat until you’ve completed the design you want.
5. Add other colours if using to finish your design & allow to air dry.
6. Pop the treats into a clear plastic bag and tie- off with some twine. Insert into the cotton bags and pull closed. Optional: tuck in a little Valentine’s Day card or add a name tag to personalize.