|All ready to go!!!|
Yummy Mummy Recipe: Blackberry Orange Scones
Makes 8 scones.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
(or substitute 2 cups of your favourite gluten- free flour)
1/3 cup sugar + 1 tbsp for sprinkling (optional)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (as cold as possible- keep in fridge until needed)
1/2 cup sour cream (or substitute Greek yogurt)
1 egg (or substitute 1/4 cup applesauce)
1 tbsp grated orange zest
1 cup blackberries (I used frozen ones I’d picked in the Summer, just thaw ahead of time
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees & line a baking tray with parchment
2. In one bowl mix together the dry ingredients; grate the butter into the bowl with the flour mixture (or cut into very small cubes). Mix with hands until combined (will be dry & crumbly)
3. In another bowl mix together the sour cream, egg (or applesauce if you’re making an egg free version) and orange zest
4. Add the wet ingredients to the flour/ butter; mix until just combined (the dough will still be quite dry and crumbly- less so if you substituted apple sauce)
5. Toss in the blackberries and gently mix until well distributed in the dough
6. Lightly flour a flat surface and turn dough out; shape the dough into a circle approx. 8″ in diameter and 1- 1.5″ thick. Slice the dough into 8 pieces (think of cutting a cake) and transfer to baking tray
7. For a little extra sweetness, sprinkle some sugar over the top of the scones; bake for approx. 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top (I found my gluten free/ egg free version took a little longer to bake and didn’t look golden on top; I had to keep poking them with a skewer to check if they were baked all the way through).
8. Serve with your choice of butter, clotted/ whipped cream, jam, and/ or marmalade. Best served fresh & warm (but really, who’s going to complain if you re- heat them?) 😉
Writing this post has given me a craving for one with a cup of Earl Grey! Hope you enjoy!