4 cups macaroni noodles (uncooked amount)
3 cups milk
2- 3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp mustard (regular yellow or dijon are delicious)
4 cups grated cheddar cheese (old/ sharp is best)
1/2 cup cream cheese
2 tbsp butter
2 cups broccoli florets cut into 1″ pieces
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & bring a pot of water to a boil. When bubbling pop the macaroni in the pot & steam the broccoli above the pasta as it cooks.
2. In a separate pot heat milk until it’s almost at a boil; reduce heat to maintain temperature. In a cup mix cornstarch with water to form a paste and whisk into milk, followed by Worcestershire sauce and mustard.
3. When combined, add 3 cups of the grated cheddar and all of the cream cheese to the milk mixture and whisk until combined and creamy.
4. When macaroni & broccoli are ready remove from heat. Set broccoli aside; drain & rinse pasta well then add to the cheese mixture. Mix until combined & add salt & pepper to taste.
5. In a large baking dish (or individual dishes) layer the pasta/ cheese mixture followed by some of the broccoli florets and grated cheddar; repeat this for a second layer, topping with grated cheese to melt on top.
6. Bake for approx. 10 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve immediately & enjoy.
What are your favourite comfort food meals? For more great recipe ideas hop over to the Yummy Mummy Recipe page!
Makes enough sauce for approx. 4- 6 full meals
2- 3 lbs regular ground beef
5 cloves garlic, crushed
3 yellow onions, diced
3 green peppers, diced
2 zucchini, diced
3 tbsp Italian Seasoning (add more to taste)
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
4 tins crushed tomatoes (796mL)
1 tin diced tomatoes (796mL)
Add your other favourite veggies and/ or protein
2. Follow with green peppers & zucchini and any other veggies and/ or meat you’re adding, cook for a few minutes to soften.
3. Add seasonings & mix well, then add all 5 tins of tomatoes, stirring well as you add each tin.
4. Turn up to high heat and stir until sauce is bubbling, approx. 5 minutes.
5. Once sauce is bubbling and has been stirred well, reduce to low heat & simmer covered for 30 minutes- 1 hour. Stir & check the taste occasionally and add additional seasoning based on your taste preferences.
6. When ready, remove from heat & serve. Or allow to cool & scoop into freezer bags and freeze for an easy dinner for busy nights (we’ve cooked this sauce from frozen on many a lazy meal night). This sauce is great when enjoyed fresh and just as delish when frozen & thawed.
Have you ever made your own sauce? I’d love to hear what you put in yours! 🙂
And don’t forget to check out lots of other great foodie posts on our Yummy Mummy Recipes page!
Image source: Table for Two
|Renee’s lil man helping out with dinner!|
|The thinner the zucchini slices, the better|
|Renee added mushrooms, red peppers & extra cheese to her lasagne layers- yum!|
|The finished product!|
|Renee made yummy garlic bread using Epicure’s Herb & Garlic Dip Mix|
We skipped the cheese at our house and this is so tasty you really don’t miss it 🙂