5…4…3…2…1… Counting down to the new year with a final giveaway here on OHP with JORD Watches! Enter to win a $100 shopping credit for one of their wood watches + everyone who enters will receive a 10% discount! These timepieces are a stylish addition to your accessory collection and if you don’t already own one, their wood watches are great statement pieces.
Kick off the new year in style with JORD’s wood watches!
Whether you’re a New Years resolution/ goal-setting type, or just counting down to the start of 2019, you can stay on time in style thanks to JORD. Choose from a variety of styles for men and women, with many styles available in different colour ways and wood finishes. Once you’ve made your selection you can also customize your watch by having it engraved- perfect if you’re giving as a gift or to mark a special occasion.
A new meaning for arm candy!
I went for the FRANKIE watch with gold details and love the large face, clean design, and dark wood (this colour combination is ebony wood with gold, but the FRANKIE design is available in 5 other colour combinations). It’s a bold piece that stands out and it’s perfect for everyday wear. This is a piece that gets noticed and I receive compliments every time I wear it, whether by itself or layered with bracelets.
It’s that time of year where you want to layer up and be cozy! Whether you’re looking for a whole new wardrobe or hunting for a few staples, Joe Fresh has you covered from head to toe. I’m sharing a few favourites here from their #JoeFreshFall 2018 collection, but believe me when I say there’s waaaay more cute pieces where these came from (that velvet jumpsuit tho!).
If you’ve been looking or pieces that are comfortable, stylish, and easy-to-wear, look no further. You can enjoy refreshing your Fall wardrobe without breaking the bank account thanks to Joe Fresh and their pieces that bring together style, comfort, and affordability. Plus enjoy shopping at your local Real Canadian Superstore or Loblaws or shop online on the Joe Fresh website.
And speaking of online shopping…
Use code YMC25 to save 25% off your online order!*
Stock up on seasonal essentials for everyone in the family with this favourite Canadian fashion brand! Find lots of cute pieces for your hubby and kids- see links below to shop:
Fashion lover? Check out more posts like this on the blog’s Style page!
Discount Code Details
*Discount code valid until November 2, 2018, 4am EST on regular priced items only. Excludes Baby Gift Boxes and clearance items. Cannot be combined with any other coupons or promotional offers, is not redeemable for cash and cannot be applied to previous purchases. Valid in Canada only.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links I receive a small portion of the sale, which helps me maintain and operate OHP.
Treat yourself or some of your favourite gals (or drop some hints to your sweetheart!) with this Galentine’s Day round up! Whether red or pink is your favourite colour for the occasion, there are plenty of cute options inspired by Feb 14. If you’re the kind of person who prefers to get humorous gifts you could have some photo socks made with your face on, to remind them how you’re their favourite friend! But if you’re a fan of tradition, stick to the typical valentines themes. Something sweet and affectionate to gift your girls this Galentine’s day is a personalised moon lamp; it’s the perfect night lamp to remind your friends of your special bond. However, it doesn’t have to be Valentine’s Day to add some pops of pink and red- and hearts errrrything- but since it’s right around the corner I hope you like some of the ideas here. Celebrate Galentine’s Day with your favourite ladies and treat yourself and each other!
If you’ve left your shopping to the last minute and won’t have time to hit up the mall or your favourite stores, options like express shipping and Amazon Prime (my lifesaver so many times throughout the year!) are great options to make sure your gifts arrive on time (if you’re shopping local, see if your favourite small shop offers local pick up). And if you’re really low on time, you can always make your own gift (see here and here for some cute Valentine’s printables). Or how about a date night/ girl’s night in? Pick up some snacks (check out this white chocolate Valentine’s popcorn for a cute idea) and enjoy a relaxing night of games or movies.
See these posts for more cute Valentine’s Day ideas:
Even thought it’s still Summer, the first day of September always feels like Fall to me. And with it comes a switch in the style department towards more layers and cozy additions (think scarves, hats & booties for starters). It’s a great time of year to shop your closet and maybe add a few key pieces that you’ve been missing or had your eye on.
But just because Summer’s coming to an end doesn’t mean you can’t wear some of your warmer weather items in the cooler months. Getting a bit creative can extend the wear you get out of certain pieces like shorts and tank tops and can stretch your style budget. Things like tights and sweaters are definitely Fall favourites and can mean you don’t have to put away some of your favourite lighter pieces just because the temperatures are cooling.
Since this time of year marks a change in seasons I’m sharing how to take a few key pieces from your Summer wardrobe and transition them to Fall, along with some footwear ideas. Booties are a favourite item that go with so many things and can get dressed up or dressed down. I’ve also included a pair of runners in this post that are great for errands or taking the kids to and from activities without compromising on style or comfort.
Starting with a few key pieces, shop your closet for different items to create a variety of outfits, and make note of items you’d like to purchase. Think of how you can pair the same piece with a variety of others you already own, only adding something to your shopping list when you identify something you know you can wear in a variety of ways (this will help you save money and ensure the pieces you buy will work well with what you’ve already got). I started with a Summer outfit- a top, flip flops, and especially good quality shorts. And with some help available from Filly Flair and similarly themed places, there is no reason why these apparels and accessories cannot be sourced online. I shopped my closet for different pieces that could be mix- and- matched to create several outfits.
I created the outfits in this post with items most of us already have in our closets to show how adding just a few new pieces can be all it takes to inspire some Fall #ootds (jeans, tights, a denim vest, sweater, jacket, a scarf, hat, and footwear). The good news: it can be a as simple as adding layers and accessories to bring your Summery items into the Fall. If you want some ideas to transition your style into Fall, I hope you’ll find these tips helpful!
I started with this floral outfit: a light sleeveless top & shorts with my favourite flip flops…
Perfect for days when it’s cool vs cold and you just need an extra layer to keep your legs warm. Tights look really cute paired with booties and you can throw on a sweater if things really start to cool off. Mix and match shorts and tights with some favourite tops for a variety of looks (I love the combo of different patterns/ fabric textures). I definitely went for a casual outfit here, but how cute would heels be to dress things up?
2. A jacket (+ scarf)
Need a little extra warmth? Swap out a sweater for your favourite jacket. Stay warm without feeling like your outfit is too heavy. And if things are really starting to cool off…
…add a scarf for a little extra warmth/ style. Cool Fall days are a perfect excuse to add an extra layer and add contrast/ interest to an outfit (I love the combo of different patterns like stripes and florals).
Great year- round, no? For those in- between days when things are cool but not cold, a denim vest is a classic item that works with lots of wardrobe pieces. It can add a different texture/ colour to your outfit and is a great piece for those days where it’s cool but still warm enough to skip sleeves. And who doesn’t own a pair of jeans? I liked pairing this floral top with my white jeans but classic blue denim goes with pretty much everything. Also- a cute excuse to rock a Canadian tuxedo with denim on top and bottom. 😉 I went with black lace runners for this outfit but booties would look super cute too (see what I mean about how easy/ interchangeable everything is when you have the right pieces?).
4. A hat
Hats are the perfect finishing touch to many an outfit and add an extra element of style and personality. Dig through those ones you put away for the Summer or treat yourself to a new one (or a few!) for the Fall to help keep cozy. A cute pom pom toque is a fun option on colder days, with a wide- brimmed beauty being a great choice that you can wear throughout the seasons. Just a little warning: once you become a hat person there’s no going back. 😉
Welcome to the days of sun, sand, dribbly watermelon and popsicle faces, long warm days, and everything else that comes with Summer. Just remember to look into Central Oregon heating and cooling if you are yet to install a Central Oregon heating and cooling HVAC system. The best. Whether you head to the beach or pool or just hang out in your backyard, these days are meant to be enjoyed and memories made. It isn’t about all the things, it’s about filling up a pool- maybe inflating a floatie or two- and giving the kids a bucket and water as entertainment. Voila, unplugged childhood at it’s best.
This time of year, I can’t be outside with the kids enough. Grab the swimsuits/ Summer clothes, lob on the sunscreen and (half an hour later some days!) we’re outside for as much of the day as possible. We eat all 3 meals outside if I have it my way. We have a great table and I think it’s such a waste when we don’t use it! You can find similar tables via this link if you also need something sturdy and secure. I promise you’ll love eating outside! The kids come in for nap/bed time dirty, tired, and smelling of the sun and fresh air, it’s great. Sometimes, when the kids are in bed, I come back outside and sit at the table and just enjoy the last sunset. I loved the idea of sharing about one of our beach days for this post, but wrangling these two for photos requires more than this mama’s two arms. Speaking of the beach, it’s definitely worth checking out https://seasideplanet.com/best-beach-games-families/ for some beach day fun inspiration! I figured a backyard shoot was in order, plus it’s where so much of Summer is spent as a family and I love that this wasn’t a super- styled photo shoot. Just me with the kids hanging out in the backyard getting up to shenanigans; some pretty cute moments were captured that will be getting printed and added to our gallery wall.
I had the chance to team up with a few of my favourite local brands to share some comfortable Summer styles (see some twinning mermaids below) and ideas to get you through the hottest season of the year. What was great about this backyard shoot is it doesn’t get any more laid- back than this. Well, as laid back as it gets with two kids running wild and loose. 😉 But that’s what Summer and childhood is about, and when you’re making memories, there’s nothing better. Comfort goes a long way this time of year and finding quality pieces that stand up to the elements and activities that come with Summer can make getting ready for a day spent outside that much easier. It doesn’t feel like that long ago that there weren’t so many cute choices for boys, but that’s changed in a big way and Liam loved hamming it up for the camera. I hope you like our Summer style picks- we’ve got some talented locals around here and they make it easy to dress for these hot days! All sources provided at the end of this post.
5 Summer Style Tips for Mama + Kids
1. Hats– More than a cute accessory, these help protect from the sun, and there are plenty of options out there for all members of the family. For littles, ones that have a strap for under the chin can help keep them from removing them, but as kids get older those styles can be harder to find. It took some getting used to, but Liam now wears a snap back (this Mahalo one is by Aloha Kai) . Even though this style doesn’t cover the back of the neck, it gives his face good coverage and I load on plenty of sunscreen anyways. Styles with adjustable straps also mean you can get a few seasons out of them and they’re great year- round. I like a variety of styles for myself, but my beach hat of choice this year is anything with a brim while I build up my tan for the season (see this post for a cute beach hat DIY).
2. Tops– The classic tee is hard to beat, but tank tops are a versatile option for days when it’s too hot even for a t- shirt and you don’t want anything on your shoulders (you know, those days when it feels too hot to wear anything). Perfect as a quick cover- up at the beach/ pool (buy a size up if you want them less- fitted for this purpose, and get an extra year out of them too) and a comfortable option to prevent chafing from seat belts and car seat straps. They’re a quick/ easy style option that you can throw on with any bottoms and double as great pj tops to wear to bed on hot Summer nights (ie those nights when the kids fall asleep in the car on the way home). As I was saying before about not having anything on your shoulders, you might want to look into getting a strapless bra or two, for those days it should be illegal for it to be that hot.
3. Cover ups– Whether you go for a maxi dress, skirt, or another option, a cover- up is a perfect extra layer when you’ve got a beachy breeze or want to layer- up for a Summer picnic. Hooded towels or over- sized tops are a great option- especially for kids- but if you want something to wear from the beach to the dinner table, something that’s comfortable and easy to slip on are two things I’m looking for. A comfortable top (again with the tank tops!) with a skirt work great and still allows you to move as you chase your monkeys kids around (this bright watermelon one is from Lone Wolf Boutique– see this post for another one of her styles perfect for Summer).
4. Swim suits– I don’t think I could write a post on beach/ pool/ Summer style without including this seasonal staple! When it comes to kids, you can find everything from UV- protecting styles to ones that are just plain cute, and everything in between. This is a time of year to have fun outdoors and you want everyone to be comfortable in the heat. Choose options that suit your lifestyle when it comes to shopping for both the kids and your own suits. I can’t resist a cute pair of swim shorts or a bikini for my two, but they also have fuller- coverage UV protecting styles for long days when the sun is scorching hot. And for Moms, I know the swim suit debate is a personal one. I love a 2- piece, but some days a 1- piece is the better choice based on our activities. And if you prefer more coverage there are plenty of stylish 1 and 2- piece suits out there. The 1- piece I’m wearing in this post is from All Twerk and No Pray and it’s my go- to 1- piece (also great paired with a skirt or shorts!). For a fuller- coverage 2- piece style, see this post.
5. Bottoms– When it comes time to pack up and head to the beach, shorts and skirts are essentials, but for cool Summer mornings and evenings, having comfortable pieces that provide more coverage from the shade and breeze are good to keep in mind for everyone. Comfortable leggings for all are a great choice and allow for plenty of running, swimming, and other movement. As the day warms up, simply swap for those shorts/ skirts, or swimsuits. For Moms, they’re a comfortable option that offers more coverage if you don’t love shorts (a capri- style is perfect if you don’t want to wear full- length ones in the heat) and can comfortably slip over a 1- piece or paired with a bikini top. Pick a pair made for yoga/ working out; the material will provide optimal comfort and movement in the heat. Two of my favourite local brands that combine quality, comfort, and style are Inner Fire and Kristina Benson Art (see this post and this post).
So there you have it. A few ideas to help get you and the kids through the Summer in comfort and style, and hopefully some new ideas to arm you for the hot days ahead. I’d love to hear what your essentials are for this time of year and your favourite Summer staples! Like these ideas? Or not? What would you change/ add?
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.