Since we’ve had to take gluten & dairy out of Ari’s diet I’ve been on the hunt for yummy treats and snacks that I can make for her. Rather than stuffing our cupboards with all of the store- bought options (many of which seem to be quite high in sugar and/ or other ingredients that don’t really strike me as healthy) I’m trying to make my own that a) don’t taste like cardboard and b) are packed with nutrients. A little while ago a friend of mine served up some of her own healthy homemade oatmeal raisin cookies and Ari pounced on them (gluten and all). So I took her hint and decided to tempt her with my own version sans dairy & gluten. Low in sugar and high in fibre, these cookies are like granola bars in cookie form. They’re such a hit I’ve been making them in double batches & plan on making a monster batch to freeze to have on hand for when baby #2 arrives.
Yummy Mummy Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Raisin Cookies
Makes 12- 15 cookies
1 cup gluten free oats
3/4 cup gluten free flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 large egg (swap in a half cup of apple sauce if you’re allergic)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup genuine maple syrup or honey (or try a ripe mashed banana)
1/2 cup raisins (dried cranberries would be good too)
1 tbsp flax seeds
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in one large mixing bowl; mix the wet ingredients in another bowl & then combine, working out any lumps.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper & scoop rounded spoonfuls of dough onto the sheet about an inch apart.
4. Bake for 12- 14 minutes or until the cookies just start to turn golden brown.
5. Allow to cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring.
What’s your favourite combo for cookies? I’d love to hear your ideas for different variations to try. 🙂
For more recipes- with lots of gluten and dairy free options- check out the blog’s Yummy Mummy Recipes page.
March posts sponsored by Little Dreamers Consulting