Have you been seeing all the great recipes for pasta made with zucchini ‘noodles’? We’ve been making spaghetti & lasagne out of these squash for a while and love it as a lighter, gluten free (and paleo) option. For a GF option, it’s great and there’s an additional nutritional punch (bonus!).
One of my friends recently made this with her kids and they loved it. (It’s nice when kids help make dinner in addition to eating it!). She served hers in the classic way topped with cheese and with garlic bread, but you can easily adjust to suit your family’s needs. 🙂
Yummy Mummy Recipe: Zucchini ‘Noodle’ Lasagne
1 tbsp olive oil
3 zucchinis with the ends chopped off
Favourite pasta sauce*
1 large handful of spinach, washed & dried
2 cups grated cheese
Optional: Garlic bread
Renee’s lil man helping out with dinner!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat; while waiting to bring up to temperature, slice zucchini thinly lengthways; you want the slices no thicker than 1/8″ (some cheese graters have a slicing side that works well; a mandolin is also a great tool for this)
The thinner the zucchini slices, the better
3. When cooking surface is warm, cook zucchini until softened, approx. 3 minutes on each side
4. In a 9″*13″ baking dish scoop enough sauce to coat the bottom, followed by a layer of zucchini slices; follow this with some spinach. Continue alternating layers until you’ve used up all your zucchini slices (if you’ve sliced them really thin, only add spinach to every other layer).
Renee added mushrooms, red peppers & extra cheese to her lasagne layers- yum!
5. Top with cheese and pop in the oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
The finished product!
Serve with your favourite sides & enjoy!
Renee made yummy garlic bread using Epicure’s Herb & Garlic Dip Mix
We skipped the cheese at our house and this is so tasty you really don’t miss it 🙂
* We love making our own sauce, for a recipe this size here’s what you’ll need:
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
3 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
To make: Brown ground beef & set aside. Saute onion & green pepper until soft, stir in all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Taste as you go and add more seasoning as desired. Reduce to a simmer for 1- 2hours (this is great if you have the time to make ahead, if not using it right away is delicious too).
Thanks Renee for the photos and for helping with this post! For some delicious seasonings, spices, etc, check out her Epicure page on Facebook.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.