Now that we’re officially into Spring (which means Summer is right around the corner!!!) I start to shift my cooking & baking from the heavier comfort foods of Fall & Winter to some lighter options for Spring & Summer. This is a great time of year to make some freezer- friendly goodies such as muffins, since the last thing you want to do in July is turn on the oven! I was recently scanning Pinterest for some inspiration for some gluten free muffins that Will could chow down on; ultimately I combined a few recipes to come up with an option I liked. I’m slowly becoming more comfortable making tweaks in my baking so I can create custom goodies that suit the new dietary needs in the family. These muffins are not only simple & healthy, but are a delicious gluten free option.
Yummy Mummy Recipe: Gluten Free Berry Muffins
1 cup chopped berries of your choice (I made a batch each of blueberry & strawberry)
1/4 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar from Galloways– amazing!)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk (or substitute your favourite non- dairy milk- I love coconut)
1 egg (or substitute 1/4 cup applesauce)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line or grease 12 muffin tins
2. In one bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt; in another mix vanilla, oil, milk, & egg/ applesauce
3. Add the berries to the dry mix, then combine with wet ingredients until blended well with no lumps (other than the berries)
4. Pour batter into muffin tins- only fill 2/3; bake for 25- 30 minutes, or until a skewer poked into the centre of a muffin comes out clean
5. Eat nice & warm from the oven or allow to cool & freeze for yummy snacking later
Enjoy! These babies were gone in no time! Light & delicious.
The blueberry muffins…
…and the strawberry…
Photos by Katherine Petrunia
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.