Since we’re trying to go as healthy as possible in our house and Will’s having to eliminate things from his diet, I’m trying to make my own snacks instead of buying them. This way I know exactly what’s in them and can save some money while doing so. You’re probably thinking I don’t have time… life’s busy enough, right? I know how you feel and promise these are actually pretty quick & simple to whip up. Plus, this is a great kid- friendly recipe that you can make ahead for the week and have them lunch box ready. (Major bonus: these are super delicious!)
Yummy Mummy Recipe: Home Made Granola Bars
Makes 8 granola bars
1 cup rolled oats (look for gluten free if necessary)
2 cups of your favourite nut*/ seed/ dried fruit combo (I used a pre- mixed trail mix and added extra pecans and almonds)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup nut butter (pick your favourite; I used cashew)
1/4 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar; you can use less/ none if you prefer)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
*For allergy sufferers, skip the nuts and sub extra seeds and/ or dried fruit, such as cranberries or raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line an 8″ baking pan with parchment paper
2. Spread oats & nuts/ seeds on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes; shake them at 5 minutes tp ensure equal toasting of the ingredients
3. Remove from oven & put into a large bowl; mix in cinnamon
4. In a small saucepan combine nut butter, sugar (if using), honey, & vanilla extract over low heat. Stir until combined and mixture is starting to bubble.
5. Pour the nut butter mixture into bowl with dry ingredients & mix until well combined.
6. Using a spatula, pour & evenly spread the mixture into the 8″ pan pressing down firmly
7. Place in fridge for approx, 30 minutes to help the mixture cool & set. When ready cut into 8 bars
I love these as an alternative to the store- bought option and if they’re as popular in your home as they are in mine, you’ll be making them in double- or triple- batches! Here’s to your health. <3
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.