My best friend introduced me to Nandos a few years ago, and I’ve loved all things peri- peri ever since. What is peri- peri you ask? It’s a kind of hot pepper, and boy howdy does it make food delicious with a kick! I recently discovered peri- peri seasoning at one of my favourite gourmet shops, Heritage Meats, in Langley. I think it’s approx. $5 for a 50g bag by Spice Works, and it’s gluten free & all natural; none of those crazy ingredients you can’t pronounce. My hubby was over the moon that we found a budget- friendly way to have Nandos more often: Home made peri- peri chicken, or as I like to call it, Knock Off Nandos! As Martha would say, ‘it’s a good thing’. 😉
Yummy Mummy Recipe: Knock Off Nandos!
(Peri- Peri Chicken & Fries)
You will need:
1 chicken breast or 2 chicken thighs per person
1 small- medium potato per person
peri- peri seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash potatoes & slice into wedges
3. Toss wedges first in olive oil; once coated, sprinkle with peri- peri seasoning & toss until well coated
4. Place wedges on parchment- lined baking pan & bake for 45 minutes
5. While wedges are cooking, coat chicken with peri- peri (using it as a dry rub works best) place chicken in a non- stick pan with some olive oil & sear both sides
6. Remove chicken from heat & place in a baking dish
7. When wedges have been in oven for half an hour, place chicken in oven for remaining 15 minutes
8. When wedges are golden brown & the chicken is cooked through, you’re ready to experience the crazy deliciousness that is peri- peri! I hope you love this Nandos Knock Off as much as we do!
Image Source: http://sarahhyde7080.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/hey-everybody-likes-chicken-homer-simpson/