All I have to say is heck yes! I
love LOVE this recipe! I created it based on a dish at one of my favourite restaurants. You can make it as an appetizer or entree, do it gluten free, and/ or dairy free, or paleo (I’m always trying to come up with allergy- friendly options!). I made this recently for a potluck family dinner and it was gone in no time. PS it’s delicious with red wine! 😉
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 handful fresh basil (should be 1/2 cup when loosely chopped)
1 tsbp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
1 cup diced goat cheese (optional)
1 fresh tomato, sliced thin (optional)
1. Prepare your crust; if making with eggplant, slice into pieces 1/2″ thick
2. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees; roll out dough. Drizzle dough or eggplant with olive oil & sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
3. Bake for 10 minutes; while crust/ eggplant is in oven, toss basil, olive oil, garlic, & pine nuts into food processor; puree until smooth.
4. Remove crust/ eggplant from oven & spread pesto over crust/ eggplant; top with goat cheese and tomato if using
5. Cook for another 10 minutes (tip: goat cheese does not melt the same as regular cheese; it will still look similar when you remove it from the oven)
6. If serving as an appetizer, slice into thin pieces; if serving as an entree, slice as a regular pizza.
Delicious if served hot right from the oven, or cool with pizza sauce for dipping.