I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for some comfort food! I’m swapping my Summery salads for heartier meals that warm me up. I have to admit today’s recipe isn’t the lightest, healthiest one that I’ve featured, but it won’t disappoint. How about good ol’ ham & scalloped potatoes for a yummy Fall dinner? This can be a time- consuming meal to make, but I have a few tips to shave some time off for busy weeknights (and I know it’s popular to make the scalloped potatoes in the slow cooker).
Yummy Mummy Recipe: Ham & Scalloped Potatoes
Serves 4- 6
Dinner ham of your choice (I was naughty & bought the pre- cooked/ smoked ham to save time)
Veggies of your choice (I opted for asparagus as a treat)
4-5 large potatoes, peeled
1 cup milk (almond milk is great for a dairy- free version)
1 tbsp butter*
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 large onion, sliced into rings
2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup grated cheddar cheese*
1 tsp paprika
Salt & pepper to taste
* For a dairy- free version, skip the butter & cheese. A great cheese substitute is Daiya, which you can find in the dairy or health food aisles of most stores)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees or temperature suggested for your ham; while oven is preheating, put a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil
2. To help the potatoes cook faster in the oven, slice them into approx 1/8″ slices and boil them for 5- 7 minutes. They should be soft without falling apart. Slice the onions to approx the same thickness and set aside
3. While the potatoes are boiling, heat the milk & butter in a pot, followed by the garlic powder and grated cheese. Whisk together until blended and remove from heat
4. In a casserole dish (or slow cooker, if using), scoop some of the milk/ cheese mixture into the bottom, followed by the potatoes and onions. Pour the remaining milk mixture on top and ensure the everything is well coated.
5. Sprinkle with paprika and salt & pepper (I know lots of people who love to top theirs with extra cheese). If cooking in oven, bake for 30- 45 minutes or until golden brown. If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 6- 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
6. Serve with generous slices of ham and your selected veggies.
October posts sponsored by Cutie Pie Boutique