Serves 4- 6
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 cup peas
1 medium turnip, chopped
1/2 head cauliflower
(for the traditional version, use 4- 5 medium potatoes)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp dijon mustard
Salt & pepper to taste
Optional: 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot, bring some water to a boil. Boil turnip (or potatoes if going the classic route) & steam cauliflower & carrots on top.
2. In a pan, cook the ground beef & onion, followed by Worcestershire sauce & dijon. When cooked, toss in peas and steamed carrots.
3. Drain turnip and place in a large bowl with cauliflower; mash to desired consistency (same step if using potatoes).
4. Scoop the beef mixture into a casserole dish & top with turnip/ cauliflower combo or potatoes. Top with cheese if using.
5. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes; the turnip/ cauliflower version will probably not achieve the same golden brown/ toasted appearance as the classic spud- topped one, but it will still be delish!