I love me some calamari. Love. If I’m at a restaurant and this is on the menu it’s hard for me to say no. I just wish it wasn’t deep- fried. Will and I have tried making healthier versions of a few restaurant- inspired meals at home, and he was pretty happy when I told him I’d be trying my hand at baked calamari sans gluten. I never know how my first attempts will work out, especially when the ingredients have to be swapped for wheat- free alternatives, but we were both really happy with this homemade baked version- even Ari ate it! It’s quick to make and only takes 10- 15 minutes in the oven, so it’s perfect for busy nights when you need to whip up something quick. Serve this with your favourite tzatziki (here’s the recipe I use) or dip for a guilt- free appy or entree.
2 cups squid rings, thawed and rinsed
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 egg whites + 1 whole egg
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup gluten- free bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves finely minced
1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp dry dill (if you prefer to use fresh, save it and sprinkle on top when the calamari is cooked)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In one shallow dish combine your coconut milk with eggs; in another combine the flour, bread crumbs and other dry ingredients (if using fresh garlic, toss it in too).
3. Pat the squid rings so they’re not too wet and coat them in the corn starch and shake off excess. 4. 4. Toss the squid rings into the coconut milk egg wash, followed by the dry mix, using a fork to make sure you coat them completely with both.
5. Transfer the coated squid rings to the baking sheet and bake for approx. 10- 15 minutes. Be careful not to bake for too long to avoid the squid becoming chewy.
6. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the diced red onion and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon wedges and serve with tzatziki.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.