Yummy Mummy Recipe: Cabbage Rolls
1 large green cabbage
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground pork
4- 5 strips bacon
1 cup rice (uncooked amount)
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
1 796mL can of diced tomatoes
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees; bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Core the cabbage: start by chopping off the bottom inch of the cabbage and removing the outer few leaves. Using a sharp knife, slice on an angle around the core (when you pull the core out it should look like a teepee).
3. Pop the cabbage into the water when at a rolling boil (you can either remove the cabbage from the water approx. every 5 minutes to remove layers of leaves, or wait longer & remove them all at once- this step really depends on how much space you have & how organized you are).
4. In another pot, bring rice to a boil & reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes; while all this is going on, heat oil over medium heat & saute the onion in a pan; set aside to cool once it’s cooked.
5. In a large bowl combine ground beef & pork; dice bacon & mix in. When the rice is cooked add it & the sauteed onion to the mix, making sure everything gets blended well.
6. To make the rolls, scoop 2 spoonfulls of the meat filling onto a leaf (you may need to use 2 leaves if they’re smaller) and roll. Fold in the sides after you’ve rolled up an inch or two and roll into a little package.
7. Place rolls into a tin baking pan & cover with tinned tomatoes & top with saurkraut. Season with salt & pepper.
8. When baking pan/ dish is full, pop into the oven: if in a single layer bake for 1.5 hours; bake for 2 hours if 2 layers.
9. Cut into a roll to check that it’s fully cooked, serve & enjoy!
Delicious served with rice & your fave veggies!
Don’t forget to check out the Yummy Mummy Recipes page for more great meal ideas!
Image source: Chefronlock