Yummy Mummy Recipe: Pumpkin Muffins
1 1/2 cups Gluten free flour mix (I am now using a half/ half mix of Bob’s Red Mill GF mix and Cloud 9 mix)
11/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp oil (coconut, vegetable… use your favourite)
1 can (15oz) cooked pumpkin
1/2 cup applesauce
nuts and/ or seeds to garnish (I like pumpkin seeds or pecans for this recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease or line a muffin baking pan.
2. In one bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl mix the brown sugar and eggs until smooth, followed by the oil and pumpkin. Stir until well combined*.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Fill the muffin cups just over half full and sprinkle with seeds or nuts.
6. Bake for approx 35 minutes or until golden brown and you can poke a knife into the centre and have it come out clean (the original recipe suggests 25 minutes, but I found that mine required longer).
Tip: I’m learning that using an electric mixer really pays off with gluten- free recipes, as it helps aerate the ingredients and helpS make them light and fluffy, since gluten- free options can often turn out heavy and dense. Either a stand mixer or hand mixer should do the trick.