Ingredients per person/ serving:
For the French Toast
– 2 slices of bread (try a sourdough or jalapeno cheddar for added flavour)
– 1 egg
– 1 1/2 tbsp water
– aged cheddar or other strong cheese, thinly sliced
And any/ all of these yummy toppings
(think about your favourite omelette toppings and go from there- I tried sauteed onions & olives for this version)
– 1/2 medium white or yellow onion sliced & sautéed
– 2 tbsp sliced olives
– 1/4 cup sauerkraut
– 1 green onion, chopped
– diced bacon or ham
– sliced mushrooms, grilled
– Dijon mustard for dipping
1. Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat while you get everything ready
2. In a bowl or dish large enough for the slices of bread, beat the egg and mix in the water (I skip adding milk because of Ari & Will, but by all means add milk if you like). Dip the bread in the egg wash until it’s absorbed into the bread and there’s no dry areas
3. Fry the first side of the French toast for a few minutes until just turning golden brown, then flip
4. Place the slices of cheese on the bread and allow to slightly melt (if using, add the ham or bacon if you’d like it warmed)
5. Scoop off the pan and plate the French toast. I layered mine alternating slices with toppings between the layers and on top).
6. Add the rest of your toppings & serve
For a sweet/ savoury version use a lighter cheese and top with bacon or ham and sautéed onions and dip in maple syrup. It might sound weird, but don’t knock it ’til you try it!!!
What’s your favourite way to eat French toast? Do you like it simple or load it up?