Hands up who loves fresh Summer corn??? I love how amazing this soup turned out & I credit it to the amazing local corn I picked up from my fav farmers market. If you don’t have fresh corn the canned version will do, but I definitely recommend taking advantage of using fresh while it’s in season. Serve as an appie or as a meal in itself, this soup is hearty & filling, perfect to make ahead to freeze & enjoy in the cooler Fall & Winter months. If you have the time, it’s worth it to allow it to cool & let the flavours come out over night before blending into a chowder. Added bonus: whip this up in the slow cooker to enjoy as an easy meal after a busy day of work. Yum!
Yummy Mummy Monday: Dairy Free Slow Cooker Corn Chowder
8- 10 ears of fresh corn, shucked & sliced off the cob
(or use 3 cans of corn & reduce water by 1 cup)
2 white onions, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 leeks, sliced into 1/4 slices (whites & greens only)
3 red potatoes diced into 2″ chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
8 cups water or soup stock
1 tsp each:
Ground chipotle pepper
Pepper (add more of these to taste)
1. In a frying pan, heat oil & cook the onion and garlic (approx 3- 5 minutes)
2. Add all of the ingredients into your slow cooker and stir well
3. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours (Tip: time permitting, allow the soup to cool & store in fridge over- night for the flavours to come out)
4. Turn off the heat & scoop portions into a blender; pulse until smooth/ free of lumps and transfer to a large pot (allow extra room for steam if pulsing while hot)
5. Combine all of the soup & re- heat if necessary.
6. Serve & enjoy! (would be delicious served with a nice salad in the Summer or roast ham in the Fall/ Winter.
August posts sponsored by